Thursday, June 25, 2009

The Many Adventures of Kayden


I feel like it's been forever since I last posted! A lot has happened this past week and a half since I wrote last.  Where should I begin?

I think last time I posted, I talked about Kayden not sleeping through the night for the past two months and we were going to try and let her cry it out instead of swooping in each time she cried and picking her up.  Well let's just say that I lasted longer than I thought I would! :) We made it two days; two very LONG days!  Each time I would put Kayden down for a nap or down for the night, I'd put her down sleepy, but not asleep.  I kissed her, patted her and left. She screamed.  I mean SCREAMED!!! It was horrible.  Now I know babies can't rationalize or manipulate, but I sure did feel like she was thinking, " My Mommy has abandonded me.  She doesn't love me.  I'm crying, and she's not coming."  And here I am tearing up as I type this!  I know that's not what she thought, but that's what I thought! It was the hardest thing I've ever done.  Even harder than going through her colic stage.  So after two days, we gave in.  Nick was just as ready as I was to swoop in and cuddle her.  Crying it out definitely works for some people, just not for us! We tried, we really did, but in the end, I'd rather get two hours of sleep a night, than let her scream like that! :) 

Soooooo.....new plan!  After we decided that we weren't going to let Kayden cry it out in her room anymore, I was racking my brain trying to think of what may have changed, or what was different now from before.  Kayden used to sleep through the night up until she was around 4 months old.  Then I remembered that from around 2-4 months, I stopped eating all dairy products, because she was having such a hard time nursing.  Around 4 months, I started dairy back again.  She seemed to tolerate the breast milk okay.  So maybe she truly does have a milk allergy and her tummy pain is what is keeping her up at night? Maybe.  So I have now stopped eating dairy again and am supplementing with soy formula. She definitely does not like the formula, so I am mixing it with breast milk at the moment to get her used to it.  When we started supplementing with the soy formula, Kayden immediately started sleeping better at night.  She went from waking up around 8-10 times a night screaming to only 2-3 times a night. Now I don't know if it was just a coincidence, or if it is actually helping.  Once she gets on complete soy, we'll be able to tell for sure if that is it or not!  So wish us luck! I'm ready to start getting some sleep again!

Let's see....what else has been going on?  We celebrated Nick's first Father's Day this past Sunday.  We were completely wrapped up in that all weekend.  Kayden made Nick a Father's Day card with her foot prints dipped in yellow paint!  Let's just say it was very messy! :)  I tried to do her hand prints, but she'd just ball up her fingers and make a fist.  She didn't want to cooperate at all! :) We went to church and had a good day spending the day together and just relaxing.  

We took Kayden over to a friend's house last week and she got to swim in their pool. We didn't have her swim suit, so she got to swim naked, which she probably prefered anyway!  She really liked it and had a lot of fun! I also let her suck on a piece of watermelon while we were there, which she immediately threw up!  I guess either she didn't like it or it was too sweet for her!  I don't know! I guess we'll wait awhile before we do that again!

Kayden still isn't crawling yet, but sure does want to! And everyday I think, "today's the day!" She's so close! She gets up on all fours, tummy off the floor, rocks back and forth and now launches herself and falls down! :)  It's super cute!  Makes me laugh!  She is also about to have a total of four teeth! Finally!  I can see both of her top teeth, they just haven't broken through the gums yet.  Hurry up teeth!  She'll have a sweet little jack-o-lantern smile!

Nick's birthday is this coming Tuesday, so I'm sure Kayden and I will be up to our scheming ways!  We'll come up with something good for his 27th birthday!  Then the next week is my birthday and then the following week is our 6 year wedding anniversary!  Busy few weeks ahead!  

Kayden has decided that she's not really interested in food anymore, so I'm having a hard time getting her to eat anything solid.  She clamps her mouth shut and flips that head around. Whew she's gonna be a handful...well she already is! :) We gave her a teething biscuit this past week and she made a slobbery, slimy mess! She loved it though!  We also tried giving her some of those Gerber puffs, but she's not big on them yet.  I think it's the texture. She just gags when it touches her tongue! It'll take some getting used to for sure!  

Hmmmm....I guess that's about it for now, but I'm sure I've left lots out.  I'm going on little sleep. Last night was not good, so I'm going to go and try to get a quick nap while Kayden sleeps, or maybe a shower.  We'll see which one makes the top of the priority list!  I love blogging about my Kayden.  And I love it that people love love reading about her! :)

Until next time....have a great weekend! :)


1 comment:

  1. She is so sweet Corinne! I love her little laugh it is so cute

    ReplyDelete