Sunday, June 14, 2009

6 months old


I can't believe that 6 months ago today, we brought this baby into this world.  It's crazy to think of how much Kayden has changed and grown.  She's her own little person now...and what a little person she is! She has developed a personality all her own! 

Kayden is a very expressive little girl!  She is very "talkative," and loves to be the center of attention....at home that is.  A lot of times, when we are out in public, she gets very quiet.  I'm not sure if she just gets a little overwhelmed by everything, or is just curious and taking everything in.  I suspect it's a little of both.  She has a little of her Daddy and me in her.  It's neat to see.

She is very much into EVERYTHING! She grabs everything in her reach and if it's not in her reach, she grunts and scoots until she gets it! She's never still for longer than a second...always moving around kicking those legs! She can sit up by herself in the shopping cart now, and LOVES it! She loves to look around at everything. And it's great for me to not have to lug that big infant carrier in or hold her in my arms anymore. Makes grocery shopping SO much easier!

She is also standing up now. Not by herself though. She needs help getting there, but then can maintain her balance standing for a few seconds before toppling over. Won't be long though, and she'll be standing on her own and pulling up on everything. Man it's really time to start baby proofing the house! :)
Kayden had her 6 month check up today, and she weighed in at 18 pounds, 5 ounces, and is 27 1/2 inches long. She is in the 90th percentile for her weight, 95th for height, and 90th for her head circumference, which is 44 cm.  She's a big, healthy girl!

On another note, Kayden has not slept through the night in 2 months now. She used to be such a good little sleeper up until she hit 4 months old. Now sometimes she wakes up just a few times a night, but most of the time it's anywhere between 5 and 10 times a night. I know that it's now partly my fault, because when she cries, I rush in there and scoop her up and bounce or rock her back to sleep. I think now she has forgotten how to put herself back to sleep when she wakes up. I was thinking it was her teeth waking her up and I would start some kind of sleep training when her top teeth finally broke through, but it's been 2 months now, and I'm exhausted!  We talked to her pediatrician this morning, and I've been doing research like a mad woman. Her pediatrician recommended putting her to sleep when she's sleepy, but not asleep and if she cries, to just go in and pat her but not pick her up until she stops crying.  It's going to be so hard, but at this point, I'm for it. I never thought I'd be able to let her cry it out, but she's waking up so much at night, that I feel like a walking zombie, and I know that I'm not doing her any favors by picking her up every time she cries at night. So we'll see how it goes.  We're going to start this week, and hopefully within a few days or so, we'll have our sleeper back! Only time will tell! Wish us luck!

The past week has been pretty uneventful around here. Kayden and I have been staying at home more this past week, trying to catch up on some sleep, but to no avail really. We made a couple trips to HEB of course and to babies r us as well. We had a play date with some kiddos from church, and that was good because I've really been missing those. Tomorrow, we're going to have another play date with an old friend. Should be fun. Kayden doesn't really interact with the other kids yet, but she's very interested and will just sit and watch them play.

Nick and I took Kayden to the neighborhood pool last weekend, but she really wasn't that interested. She was having a pretty fussy day, so maybe that had something to do with it. We'll keep trying though. She's really starting to enjoy her baths now in her big girl tub, so I'm sure the pool isn't too far behind.
I guess that's all for now. Don't forget to keep checking youtube. I have uploaded several new videos of Kayden. Just type "mommy2kayden" in the search box.
Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment